Sunday, February 22, 2009




“Would you tell me, please, which way I ought to go from here?”
“That depends a good deal on where you want to get to,” said the Cat.
“I don’t much care where – ” said Alice.
“Then it doesn’t matter which way you go,” said the Cat.
“—so long as I get somewhere,” Alice add as an explanation.
“Oh, you’re sure to do that,” said the Cat, “if you only walk
long enough.”
Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland



Okay, I think I’m back to the theme of my first post ... which way from here.

One of the first things I bought myself when I started living away from home was a poster featuring the picture of the Cheshire Cat grinning down at Alice from a tree, with the text above printed alongside. It’s hung in the living-room space of every one of my abodes since, though now it graces my family’s TV room.

I glance at it frequently and now that I’m well into middle age, I realize I still haven’t figured out where I want to go.

There I was today, all but haranguing my fifteen-year-old daughter about making some decisions about the direction of her life... but there sat I thirty-six years her senior with no clearer idea of “what I want to be when I grow up” than she does.

Once again, I find myself out of one groove and not sure where I want to go for the next one. Fear rules; and now with so little time left, really, to get somewhere, I’m all but petrified (in the sense of being locked to the spot) about making a choice.

Maybe I just haven’t walked long enough yet ....

3 comments:

  1. Keep walking, just as long as you're going forward and are doing the things you want to do, and especially doing the things that make you happy. Unfortunately, we all have to do things that are unpleasant, I don't know about you, but I always get suspicious if things are going well for too long! I still don't know where I'm going, although I have a pretty good idea about where I want to be in that elusive "some day", instead of getting frustrated when things don't happen (like getting one of my books published), I remind myself that part of the fun is getting there!

    :)

    Laura

    P.S. My 23 year old son is a constant trial and joy, I try not to fret too much about his journey, I just want him to be happy in life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just take it one day at a time.

    I did the math, and I am a year older than you, by the way! ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I guess we just move forward one foot in front of the other ... as long as I don't slip backward, guess I'm still moving forward!!

    ReplyDelete