Friday, February 27, 2009

Daughters

"A Mother's Prayer"
I pray you'll be my eyes
And watch her where she goes
And help her to be wise
Help me to let go
Every mother's prayer
Every child knows
Lead her to a place
Guide her with your grace
To a place where she'll be safe
I pray she finds your light
And holds it in her heart
As darkness falls each night
Remind her where you are
Every mother's prayer
Every child knows
Need to find a place
Guide her to a place
Give her faith so she'll be safe
Lead her to a place
Guide her with your grace
To a place where she'll be safe

My daughters and I just finished watching Mamma Mia. What a blast – though Pierce Brosnan should definitely not give up his day job to take up singing. Meryl Streep on the other hand...

Finally, is our society finally letting women of “a certain age” be foxy, sexy, powerful? Maybe it’s just because the vast majority of society is now in its late 40s to early 60s, so it’s now okay to admit aging.

All I can say is: I wanna be Meryl Streep when I grow up.

Mamma Mia is pretty cheesy and certainly won’t go down in the annals as a great movie, but it was a fun watch. And my daughters, I think, sat there somewhat amazed at the antics of mature women ... and impressed. I myself loved the scenes where mom and daughter are getting ready for the wedding – cuddling and just being together.
I think the acceptance and the “it’s okay to be as you are” that each gave the other is one of the things I’d like to give my daughters.

I was recently talking with a friend who is in the middle of a pretty big hell with teenaged daughters in emotional crises and rebellion. Somehow, I think she and her husband feel overwhelmed and surrounded by a tide of failing families. Yet, she still has hope they’ll all come through it in the end. Wouldn’t it be nice if everyone lived in the world of movie musicals...


I hope I give my daughters a strong sense of family, and a strong sense of themselves. Allow them to make their mistakes, but be there when they need to come home.

No comments:

Post a Comment